The Stellenbosch Dialogue
THE INTERNATIONAL ANNUAL COUNTER-CORRUPTION SUMMIT FOR AFRICAN LEADERS
- The Dialogue is inspired by the success of the Manama Dialogue (security in the Middle East) and Davos (the World Economic Forum).
- The Dialogue is an annual two-day ‘grand strategic’ conclave, held in Stellenbosch and attended by world leaders and experts (e.g., Presidents, Prime Ministers, Ministers, IGOs, NGOs, academic leaders, and experts within the private sector).
- The objective is to (1) build on and develop the work started at Pan-African Counter-Corruption Assembly; and (2) identify and help implement effective, efficient and deliverable national and regional strategies for combatting corruption.
- The product is the Stellenbosch Dialogue Counter-Corruption Framework for Africa – which is a grand strategic living document.
- The Dialogue is presented as a pan-African strategic response primarily (but not exclusively) by African governments to the undoubted problem of corruption on the African continent. This dialogue benefits from high-level insight from the international community, including governments from outside Africa, the IGO/ NGO community, the private sector, etc.
- The Dialogue is intended to complement, not compete with, the work of the UNODC and its promulgation of the UNCAC. The distinction being that the Dialogue is exclusively focused on identifying the right remedies for Africa: in other words, it will provide African solutions to African problems.
- The Dialogue is intended to be a ‘living entity’, capable of adapting to confront the changing threats posed to African nations by corruption.
- The Dialogue will be highly flexible and not constrained by conventional thinking.
- The Dialogue will be funded by the South African Government and other African governments, the international community, sponsors, delegates’ fees, etc.
- SARCOE forms the Secretariat of the Stellenbosch Dialogue.
Pan-African Counter-Corruption Assembly
In 2023, SARCOE will organise the Pan-African Counter-Corruption Assembly (PACCA). This will be a two-day, high-level, one-off, intensive international conference in Stellenbosch focusing exclusively on identifying integrated and coordinated strategies for effectively and efficiently countering corruption throughout Africa. PACCA is the precursor to the annual Stellenbosch Dialogue (i.e., the Dialogue flows from the Assembly).
The National Conversations
The National Conversations follow on from the Dialogue and focus exclusively on resolving domestic corruption problems within the overarching Stellenbosch Dialogue Strategic Counter-Corruption Framework for Africa.