SERVING SOUTH AFRICA AND THE CONTINENT
OPERATION & ADMINISTRATION
The SARCOE is operated and administered by the Pavocat-Stellenbosch Academy, which is a joint venture between Pavocat South Africa (Pty) Ltd (‘Pavocat SA’) and Stellenbosch University (‘SU’).
Pavocat SA is part of the Pavocat Group of Companies, which specialise in (1) Counter-Corruption and (2) Human Rights and the Law of Armed Conflict. The Pavocat Group is headquartered in London and operates globally.
Stellenbosch University is amongst Africa’s leading tertiary institutions based on research output, student pass rates and rated scientists, and is recognised internationally as an academic institution of excellence.
SU has ten faculties. The Faculty of Law is on the main campus in Stellenbosch. The Faculty of Military Sciences – the only one of its kind in South Africa and one of only two in Africa – is based at the South African Defence Force Military Academy in Saldanha.
The SARCOE is supported by its Patrons and a Strategic Advisory Board.
SARCOE is one of several Regional Centres of Excellence and Counter-Corruption Academies being rolled out in the next 18 months across the globe. These include the following:
SARCOE was created following an unanimous Declaration (click to view) by delegates at the Pavocat-Stellenbosch Academy 2022 Counter-Corruption Summit. Leading speakers at the Summit included (listed alphabetically):
- Mr Sam Bwana (Integrity Vice Presidency, World Bank Group)
- Justice Edwin Cameron (Chancellor of Stellenbosch University)
- The Hon Mkhuleko Hlengwa MP (Chair, Standing Committee on Public Accounts)
- Adv Andrea Johnson (Investigating Director, National Prosecuting Authority)
- Mr Happy Khambule (Energy & Environment Policy Manager, Business Unity South Africa)
- Dr Roger Koranteng (Head, Public Sector Governance, Commonwealth Secretariat)
- The Hon Adv Ronald Lamola MP (Minister of Justice and Correctional Services)
- Mr Songezo Mabece (Radio Broadcaster, Legal Counsel at CCSA)
- Justice Mbuyiseli Madlanga (Justice of the Constitutional Court of South Africa)
- Prof Thuli Madonsela (The Law Trust Chair in Social Justice, Stellenbosch University)
- Prof Lee Marler (Chair, Pavocat-Stellenbosch Academy)
- Mr Itumeleng Mongale (National Project Offic er, Anti-Corruption, UNODC ROSAF)
- Adv Anton du Plessis (Deputy Director, National Prosecuting Authority)
- Prof Geo Quinot (Founder, African Procurement Law Unit)
- Ms Brigitte Strobel-Shaw (Chief of the Corruption & Economic Crime Branch, UNODC)
- Prof Sope Wiliams-Elegbe (Professor of Mercantile Law, Stelenbosch University)