HR and 'LOAC' Resource
FOR SOUTH AFRICA AND THE CONTINENT
SARCOE Is a HUMAN RIGHTS and LAW OF ARMED CONFLICT resource
In South Africa, SARCOE can:
(1) Train, advise, support and provide independent practical human rights and Law of Armed Conflict (‘LOAC’) assistance to bodies including:
- South African National Defence Force (SANDF);
- South African Police Service (SAPS);
- State Security Agency (SSA);
- Municipal Police and other law enforcement agencies;
- South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC);
- Department of Defence;
- Private Military Contractors (foreign and domestic); and
- Private Security Companies (foreign and domestic).
(2) Enhance South Africa’s Defence Sector sales internationally.
SARCOE can also provide training and assistance to armed forces and law enforcement agencies across Africa.
“The use by security forces of excessive and lethal force increased during the COVID-19 lockdown. At least 115 people died in police custody. Incidents of gender-based violence soared. The asylum system failed those most in need; immigrants and other non-nationals were subjected to xenophobic social media campaigns.”
SOUTH AFRICA – Amnesty International Report 2020/21, p325